Post by svt54 on Jun 5, 2013 18:21:08 GMT -5
- Adjusted both valves to .004" (the exhaust was already good, but the intake was tight)
- Bike had no Airbox, or filter. I installed a Scrappy open air filter.
- Unsealed the carb, and cleaned it.
- Verified the enricher works by supplying 12v and measuring. (It does,
although I don't seem to have 12v at the plug it was connected to)
- Changed the plug (More on this later)
- Oil change, gear oil change, and general checking everything was tight, etc.
- I did a plug chop and it was pretty light, so I swapped the 79 main out with an 85.
Now, it may start marginally better, but not much. I have a new problem though. When you take it out at WOT, somewhere in the area of 25-30, it bogs out. I have tried it several times. If you back off the throttle a bit, it keeps bogging. So I swapped the 79 jet back in, and same thing. I noticed, if you let all the way off the throttle, and then get back in, it will pull for a second or two, then bog again. If you let off the throttle, and leave it closed long enough to coast to a stop, it will pull all the way back up to the 25-30 range before bogging. If I let it idle for a bit before a pull, nearly every time, I can count off 9-10 seconds before it bogs out. So I was thinking it was emptying the bowl, and starving for fuel. I pulled the bowl, adjusted the float, and verified it is letting fuel in. I also checked the feed line and fuel filter. All seems fine. I get the exact same results with both jets.
I also ran 12v directly to the enricher, and took a couple of passes, and it made no difference.
Back to the spark plug. When I pulled the original, the plug threads were a little boogered up. The new plug did not go in very well, and when I pulled it for the plug chop, the threads were not great on it either. I could possibly be loosing some compression there, which could be why it doesn't pull real hard. I don't think it is causing the issue 10 seconds into a WOT pull though.
I was gonna buy a head to fix the spark plug thread problem and went overboard. I now have this on the way.
I would still like to know what I did wrong here though, before I rebuild it. Any input would be great.